Topic: About Us

Topic type:

Name of the Organisation: Hamilton Solomon Islands Community. Goal: To promote unity, harmony and social well being of all community members.

Hamilton Solomon Islands Community 

The Hamilton Solomon Islands Community began in 2002 with a handful of international students from the University of Waikato and the Waikato Institute of Technology (WINTEC).  In 2009, the community have approximately 100 members, of which 60% of these members are international students from the University of Waikato and their dependents (spouses and children).  The other 40% is made up of students from WINTEC and other Solomon Islanders (who are permanent residents of New Zealand), who live and work in Hamilton and within the Waikato region.
 
The community currently has an executive committee of six (6) members (which is comprised of a President, a vice-president, a secretary, a treasurer and two ordinary members).  The executive committee in turn appoints two other subcommittees namely, the social committee (who plans the social activities), and the finance committee (who takes care of planning the fundraising activities).  Together, these committees (the Executives, the social and financial committee members) meet regularly to discuss the welfare of the community. 
 
The activities that the community is currently engaged in include:

  • Social volleyball games on Sundays from 5-7pm at the school of Education gym.
  • Ongoing fundraising drives (at least once a month) to raise money to meet identified social plans for the community.      
  • Have combined religious service at the University of Waikato chapel at least once a month.
     

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion