Topic: Cobham Drive
Cobham Drive is named after the Viscount Cobham, the Governor-General of New Zealand from 1957-1962.
Cobham Drive spans the south east of the city from the south end of Tristram St to Cambridge Road. It was named in 1963 by Hamilton City Council after Viscount Cobham, the 9th Governor-General of New Zealand from 1957-1962. It was Hamilton's first major arterial route and was originally named 'Southern Outlet'. It subsumed Hoopers Road at the southern end. That land had been owned by Joe Hooper. The route includes the Cobham Bridge over the Waikato River. (HCC) (HCL) (Lands & Surveys)
Hamilton City Council Minutes (1963) Hamilton, New Zealand.
Hamilton City Libraries (2011). Heritage street name index cards. Hamilton, New Zealand.
New Zealand Lands and Surveys Department. File 541, survey map. (1981)