Topic: Anglesea Street

Topic type:

Anglesea Street was named by the Crown Grant/Town Council in 1864. The street was named after Henry William Paget, 1st Marquess of Anglesey.

 

Anglesea Street is a crown grant street in Hamilton, New Zealand.  It was named by the borough council in 1864.  (HBC) (Lands & Surveys). The street was believed to be named after Henry William Paget, 1st Marquess of Anglesey who led a charge at the Battle of Waterloo.  (The Dictionary of National Bibliography  pp. 54-58) (HCL)

The above photograph, c. 1900, was taken from Garden Place Hill looking south at Anglesea Street with Collingwood Street in the foreground.  On the left in front of the ploughed field is a paddock where the circus was held (Hamilton City Libraries #2467).

Anglesea Street  South (as it was known) was south of Collingwood Street.  It was named Anglesea Street by the Crown Grant/Town Council in 1864.  The section of the street north of Garden Place Hill was Selkirk Street, named by borough council in 1864.  After the removal of Garden Place Hill, Selkirk Street was renamed, Anglesea Street by special order of Hamilton City Council (HCC minutes) (Lands & Surveys) (HBC).  Anglesea Street is located here on Google maps.

References

Hamilton Borough Council (1964). Minutes. Hamilton, New Zealand.

Hamilton City Libraries (2011). Heritage street name index cards. Hamilton, New Zealand.

Hamilton City Libraries (2010).  Historic Photographs: Hamilton Central Streets.  Hamilton, New Zealand.

New Zealand Lands and Surveys Department, survey map. (1864)

Stephen, L. & Lee, S. (Eds.). (1973). The Dictionary of National Bibliography (vol XV).  Oxford, Great Britain. Oxford University Press.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Anglesea Street


City:Hamilton
Name:Anglesea Street
Subject:Street names - New Zealand - Hamilton