Topic: East Street

Topic type:

East Street was named after Captain Alfred William East of the 4th Waikato Regiment.

East Street is located in the Hamilton, New Zealand suburb of Claudelands.  It is a crown grant and was named in 1920 by civic leaders, surveyors and citizens.  East Street was named after Captain Alfred William East who served in the 4th Waikato Regiment.  He was the original owner of the area known as Claudelands.  (Gibbons p. 50) (HCC) (HCL) (Lands & Surveys) (Norris p. 188)

The image above was retrieved from Google maps streetview c. 2011.  East Street is located here on Google maps.

The image above was retrieved from Google maps streetview c. 2011.  East Street is located here on Google maps.

Reference

Gibbons, P.J. (1977) Astride The River. Hamilton, New Zealand. Whitcoulls.

Hamilton Borough Council (1920). Minutes. Hamilton, New Zealand.

Hamilton City Libraries (2011). Heritage street name index cards. Hamilton, New Zealand.

New Zealand Lands and Surveys Department.  File 541, survey map. (1981)

Norris, H.C.M. (1956). Armed Settlers. Hamilton, New Zealand. Paul's Book Arcade.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tags

Tags: East Street

East Street


City:Hamilton, New Zealand
Name:East Street
Subject:Street names-New Zealand-Hamilton